Coromandel Caper - MCC
Number of Days: 4
Destination: New Zealand
4 Day / 3 Night tour departing Auckland visiting all the best Coromandel holiday spots - Coromandel Town, Whitianga and Whangamata
The Peninsula is packed tight with great attractions and wonderful views – from the beauty of Rapaura Watergardens and Barry Brickell’s legacy, quirky Driving Creek railway to historic Coromandel township, the sandy eastern beaches and Miranda Shorebird Centre.
Day 1: Auckland - Thames - Rapaura Watergardens - Coromandel
We depart Auckland and travel east to Thames where we visit the museum. We lunch at the Trellis Tearoom at Rapaura Watergardens where you can wander 64 acres of native trees and lily ponds to a cascading waterfall.
Travelling further north along this picturesque coastline, we arrive at historic Coromandel where the town’s gold mining past is still visible today, beautifully restored buildings line the main street. We dine at Pepper Tree Restaurant.Accommodation: Coromandel - Anchor Lodge
Day 2: Coromandel - Whangapoua - Matarangi - Kuaotunu - Whitianga
Sit back as we explore the heart of the Peninsula. We visit Driving Creek Railway to ride the narrow gauge mountain railway train up through the bush to the pinnacle – the Eyefull Tower which lives up to its name – the views are magnificent.
Leaving the West Coast for the white, sandy East Coast beaches of Whangapoua, Matarangi and Kuaotunu. We stay on the Buffalo beachfront and you could visit the Lost Spring Geothermal hot pools (optional) before we dine in town tonight.
Accommodation: Whitianga - Admiralty Lodge
Day 3: Whitianga - Hahei - Hot Water Beach - Cooks Beach - Whangamata
We check out the popular holiday spots of Hahei and Cook’s Beach and bathe our feet in the hot pools dug in the sand at Hot Water Beach.
We stop at Mercury Bay lookout to admire the magnificent coastal views.
At Cathedral Cove Macadamias orchard Doug and Jillian Johnson take us on a guided tour before we drive south to Tairua and on to Whangamata and the Breakers Motel.Accommodation: Whangamata - Breakers Motel
Day 4: Whangamata - Waihi - Karangahake Gorge - Miranda - Auckland
After breakfast we check out Whangamata Beach and then Waihi and the Martha Mine where there is a clear view down to the open cast gold mine overlooked by the historic Cornish Pumphouse.
We continue through the dramatic Karangahake Gorge to lunch at The Falls Retreat. We drive along the Seabird Coast to meet our guide for our visit to the Pukorokoro Miranda Shorebird Centre and on to Clevedon before returning to Auckland.
- All transport by comfortable, air conditioned coach (maximum of 18 travellers).
- Services of your knowledgeable guide.
- Quality accommodation chosen for a “sense of place".
All Meals Are Included
- All breakfasts(B).
- All lunches(L) including special lunches at: Rapaura Water Garden, Coromandel Peninsula; lunch at Mercury Bay Estate vineyard
- All dinners(D).
All Activities & Entrance Fees Are Included
- Visit Thames Museum to hear tales of the goldrush days .
- Rapaura Watergardens surrounded by Coromandel rainforest.
- Ride the Driving Creek Railway.
- Meet Doug and Jillian Johnson at Cathdedral Cove Macadamias orchard
- Guided visit at Pukorokoro Shorebird Centre, Miranda.
Included Sightseeing & Exploring
- Drive the spectacular coastal road along the Firth of Thames.
- Coromandel town where the gold mining past is still visible.
- Explore the heart of the Coromandel Peninsula.
- Tour the beautiful beaches of the East Coast.
- Panoramic views to the Mercury Islands from Cathedral Cove Lookout.
- Waihi's craft shops and Martha Mine site.
- Drive the dramatic Karangahake Gorge.
- Explore the Miranda Shorebird coast.
- From $1,390 per person based on twin share